Whether you are looking to save a few bucks or prefer a more natural method, the toothpaste pregnancy test just may help you get an answer fast.
It’s not a commonly known method. Some women swear by it, while others balk at the idea of toothpaste announcing their pregnancy status. Do it yourself home pregnancy tests are growing in popularity and the toothpaste pregnancy test is no exception. It costs very little and takes very little time.
Table of Contents
- What is the toothpaste pregnancy test?
- Best Toothpaste
- Best Medicine Droppers
What is the toothpaste pregnancy test?
This homemade test uses a woman’s urine to determine whether or not the pregnancy hormone is present. This test requires plain toothpaste since colors or flavors could change the results. It was often used decades ago when pregnancy tests weren’t easily found in stores, especially for women living in rural settings.
How Does a Toothpaste Pregnancy Test Work?
The toothpaste pregnancy test works by mixing urine with toothpaste and waiting a specific time to see what happens. Depending if it is a negative or positive result, the toothpaste will react differently to the urine. If positive, the toothpaste should become frothy and even turn a bluish color. If nothing changes once you mix in your urine, the test is negative.
Is the Toothpaste Pregnancy Test Accurate?
While it may not be the absolute best way to determine if you are pregnant or not, it is a quick and easy method which may give an answer until you can seek medical advice. Some women have done it side by side with other women to see if the results would vary. Also, it is important to keep in mind that even medical pregnancy tests from the pharmacy aren’t always accurate. A blood test at your doctor’s office is the best confirmation of pregnancy.
Using Toothpaste for Pregnancy Test
Toothpaste is an easy ingredient to create a homemade pregnancy test since it is found in every bathroom within every household. It is critical that only plain white toothpaste is used for the toothpaste pregnancy test. Gel toothpaste and the kind with baking soda or flecks of sparkle aren’t a good choice. Also, steer clear of any toothpaste with color added since this will affect your test results. Exposure to other chemicals or soaps should be avoided as well, especially in the containers you use to collect your urine and for the toothpaste.
Step-by-Step Method for Toothpaste Pregnancy Test
- Gather the supplies needed: two clean containers or cups, a clean stir stick, a clean medicine dropper (if available), plain white toothpaste, and a timer.
- When you wake up, go to the bathroom in one of the clean containers to collect your first morning urine. First-morning urine should have the highest amount of HCG hormone, which is what is in your body if you are pregnant.
- Squirt a teaspoon sized amount of toothpaste into the other clean container.
- Using the medicine dropper, take up some of your urine and add it to the toothpaste. About an equal amount of urine to toothpaste. If you aren’t using a dropper, you can pour your urine in carefully and slowly to the proper amount.
- Stir the toothpaste/urine mixture with the clean stir stick.
- Set your timer for about three minutes and wait.
- After the three minute mark, have a look at the mixture and note any changes, including froth and color.
- Positive tests are indicated by bubbling, frothy and/or a blue or bluish color to the toothpaste. Negative tests are read if nothing at all happens to the toothpaste/urine mixture.
- Follow up with a medical professional to confirm or deny the results and get further advice on how to proceed.
Duration and Other Important Notes
You shouldn’t let this test sit for too long since most urine will eventually froth up or bubble once mixed with toothpaste. A suitable duration to allow for test results would be between three to five minutes maximum. After that time frame, it is a good idea to discard of the containers and not look for further results. A homemade toothpaste pregnancy test can be a quick, easy, and inexpensive way to find out if you are indeed expecting. You don’t need to look hard to find supplies, and you don’t need any special knowledge or education. Plus, it hardly takes any time at all. It is a good idea to take the test only when you have a suspected late period to avoid an early false negative result since the pregnancy hormone builds up in your body over time. If you are using household containers to collect your urine and to mix the toothpaste mixture, it is best to use glass or disposable, good plastic cups. This will prevent other chemicals or soaps from tainting your results. It also makes clean up a lot easier. Glass containers won’t absorb your urine, so they can easily be washed and re-used.
Best Medicine Droppers
Decide for Yourself
The toothpaste pregnancy test may or may not work for you so be sure to follow up with your doctor. Homemade and even store bought, tests are no substitution for a blood test and proper medical advice if you are indeed pregnant.
Sources: mom-health.com/homemade-diy-pregnancy-test/ www.onlymyhealth.com/homemade-pregnancy-test-with-toothpaste-1408180262 www.negativepregnancytest.com/toothpaste-pregnancy-test/ Video and Image Sources: www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo2Dk2nGOZE blog.quizzle.com/2010/07/balancing-your-budget-with-toothpaste/ www.universalmedicalinc.com/3-5oz-specimen-collection-cups.html vividmethod.com/a-short-speech-create-a-3-minute-speech-that-rocks Featured Image: www.randomstory.org
Latest posts by Jamie (see all)
- Can I Safely Enjoy Dancing While Pregnant? - August 30, 2017
- Stepping Out in Style – What to Wear to a Baby Shower - June 28, 2017
- Give Birth in Comfort and Style with these Labor and Delivery Gowns - May 24, 2017