Bearing a child is not a given for all women, several factors must come together at the right moment for a new life to be brought into existence. It is estimated that every 10th couple in their middle ages is unable to conceive naturally. These couples usually go through uncertainty with regards to which methods are best able to fulfill their desire for children. IVF or In Vitro fertilization is one of these methods.
#1 IVF is not the same as artificial insemination and does not take place in a test tube as most believe.
In Vitro fertilization literally means “insemination in a glass”. The sperm is not injected into the egg during IVF but rather the two are brought together. IVF therefore simulates what happens naturally when conceiving, only outside the body.
#2 IVF helps women with problems with their Fallopian tubes to become pregnant
There are several reasons why a woman may not be able to conceive naturally, one of these is blocked Fallopian tubes. Blocked tubes mean that eggs cannot reach the uterus. Mature eggs are therefore harvested and brought together with the sperm in an incubator. The fertilized egg is then transferred to the uterus, bypassing the blocked tubes.
#3 IVF includes a complete female cycle
- The maturity of egg cells are enhanced on the first day of the menstrual cycle by using hormone injections.
- Eggs are usually taken 36 hours after the first injection.
- On the 9th day, blood tests and an ultrasound are performed to check the maturity of the eggs. The ovulation time is the determined on the basis of this result.
- Sperms are then introduced to the egg, and given 24 hours in a culture dish to fertilize them
- The fertilized egg is then placed in the uterus at about the 17th day of the cycle.
- 10 days later, a pregnancy test is carried out.
#4 Hormonal stimulation has both advantages and disadvantages
One egg matures in a woman’s body during each menstrual cycle. Injecting hormones can increase the number of eggs to reach maturity in one cycle enhancing the probability of success of IVF.
This stimulation leads to increased cycle symptoms such as mood swings and headaches.
#5 Multiple tubal pregnancies are possible
As mentioned above, hormone treatments used in IVF stimulate the maturity of eggs increasing the risk of multiple pregnancies if several embryos are transferred to the uterus.
Not all eggs develop into embryos. The most promising embryos are selected for implantation. The decision of how many embryos should be used is at the discretion of the couple receiving the treatment. The success rate for each embryo is 30 to 40%
In IVF, the sperm and eggs meet naturally, however, if the sperms are slow or weak or too few, they can be directly injected into the egg. This is known as ICSI = Intracytoplastic Sperm Injection)
Studies indicate that sex during IVF improves the quality of embryos. Any poisonous pleasure, or drugs ingested after implantation can cause miscarriages.
Several factors influence the success rate of IVF. The process is very fragile and is not always successful but can be repeated at the next cycle. The doctor will determine whether it is necessary to take intervals between treatments.
Have you had trouble conceiving? Would you consider IVF?
First published at caremondo.com
She provides her writing services independently and can be found odesk. When she isn’t hunched over a computer, she’s out being inspired by nature.
Latest posts by Leah (see all)
- 12 Questions you’re too scared to ask about your baby - February 27, 2019
- Do I Need an Episiotomy for a Natural Birth? - February 1, 2019
- These Juices will keep you healthy during Pregnancy - January 25, 2019