Image courtesy of goodtoknow.co.uk
Getting your hands on the best stretch mark cream during your pregnancy is a must. Approximately 80% of pregnant women will end up with stretch marks due to their rapidly growing bellies. Although they’re a normal part of pregnancy, especially with twins or multiples, the majority of women would rather avoid stretch marks altogether if possible.
While stretch marks during pregnancy appear to be somewhat genetic and may not be preventable, there are a few things you can do to keep your expanding skin more pliable and help minimize them.
- Eat lots of organic fruits and veggies. Vitamins A, E, and C have been shown to support healthy, supple skin. Eating foods rich in these vitamins, like sweet potatoes, avocados, and berries, helps nourish your skin from the inside out. It also prevents a variety of skin conditions by preparing your skin for all the growth and change it must endure over the next 9 months.
- Staying hydrated is also important. You should be drinking at least twelve to thirteen 8-ounce glasses of water each day. The non-pregnancy norm is eight glasses/day. Your body is using a great deal of water to give your baby everything he needs, and remove the things he doesn’t. Staying properly hydrated throughout your pregnancy can also help prevent conditions like hemorrhoids, fatigue, headaches, and swelling.
- Get Your EFAs. Whether through your diet or through supplements essential fatty acids offer a myriad of benefits for you and your baby, including vibrant, stretch mark free skin for you and supple, healthy skin for baby.
- Use an Anti-Stretch Mark Cream. You can also minimize or even eliminate stretch marks during pregnancy by regularly applying a natural stretch mark cream starting as early in your pregnancy as possible.
Ingredients to Look For in a Natural Stretch Mark Cream
The best stretch mark cream to use during pregnancy will focus on improving your skin’s elasticity while also keeping it healthy and hydrated. Some of the ingredients that are important to look for include:
- Aloe Vera – Aloe vera is one of the best moisturizers around. It’s been used for ages to treat burns and other skin wounds, like stretch marks.
- Cocoa Butter – Cocoa butter is rich in antioxidants that protect the skin inside and out from environmental and other types of damage. It can also reduce inflammation and the appearance of blemishes and scars.
- Shea Butter – An excellent source of essential fatty acids and Vitamins A and E, shea butter is another moisturizing powerhouse. It also has a history of treating skin conditions like frostbite, eczema, sunburn, and blemishes.
- Jojoba Oil – Extracted from the seeds of the jojoba plant, jojoba oil is rich in Vitamin E and has been shown to reduce the appearance of scars, and support the skin’s natural elasticity.
Top 5 Best Stretch Mark Creams to Use During Pregnancy
To help you find the best stretch mark cream to use during your pregnancy, we’ve compiled a list of favorites from experienced moms who have avoided stretch marks during theirs.
This nourishing, natural stretch mark cream includes cocoa, shea and jojoba butters to deliver loads of goodness to your skin. It’s also fragrance free so won’t irritate those mamas battling morning sickness.
Many women swear by Bio-Oil as their stretch mark weapon of choice. However, it isn’t as natural as some of the other choices. The ingredient label also shows the product includes Retinyl Palmitate as the 5th ingredient. This is a form of Vitamin A contraindicated during pregnancy. If you’re interested in Bio-Oil, it may be worth discussing it with your prenatal care provider prior to use.
One of the most natural stretch mark creams available, this spray on “natural stretch oil” from Earth Mama Angel Baby is made with grape seed oil, jojoba oil, and calendula, an herb known widely for its many skin care benefits.
Moms couldn’t decide whether Palmer’s cocoa butter massage lotion or their tummy butter was better. But, many did agree Palmer’s was their preferred stretch mark cream to use during pregnancy. Although these cocoa butter products from Palmer’s do contain less concerning ingredients than Bio-Oil, they’re also not as natural as the Earth Mama Angel Baby, Weleda, or Burt’s Bees products.
Weleda’s Pregnancy Body Oil for Stretch Marks also ranked high on many moms’ lists for the best stretch mark cream to use during pregnancy. It offers your skin a nice dose of Vitamin E and includes the homeopathic remedy arnica montana to help sore muscles and skin.
There are other natural stretch mark creams out there as well. Be sure to read each and every label so you can be sure the product is safe to use throughout pregnancy. As mentioned, some stretch mark creams are designed with ingredients that are contraindicated during the first trimester of pregnancy, the entire pregnancy, or during breastfeeding. Pregnant women aren’t the only ones battling stretch marks after all! When in doubt, check with your healthcare provider to be sure what you’re using is safe.
Once you’ve found the best stretch mark cream to use during pregnancy, apply as directed starting as early as possible for best results.
Latest posts by Fiona (see all)
- Make a Stunning Easter Basket for Your Pregnant Wife - March 26, 2018
- The Best Body Pillows for Pregnancy – Get Comfy! - February 11, 2018
- When You Need a Pregnant Bride Wedding Cake Topper - July 11, 2016