According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, “there is no safe level of lead exposure in children.”
As soon as they’re out of the womb, babies can be exposed to lead from various sources.
- Lead-based paint in older homes.
- Water supplied through lead pipes.
- Dirt and dust from lead-contaminated soil.
- Some toy jewelry.
- Old toys and imported toys painted with lead-based paint.
- Some vinyl and plastic toys with lead added as a softener.
- Old or imported ceramics and glazed dishes.
- Older, vinyl mini-blinds.
- Some vinyl diaper bags, lunch boxes, and backpacks.
- Some handbags and wallets.
- Candies imported from Mexico (such as those containing chili powder or tamarind).
- Some artificial turf.
Before you get nestled into your postpartum period, it’s best to do an inventory of your home to get rid of or pack away anything you know contains lead so Baby doesn’t get his hands, or mouth, on it.
TESTING FOR LEAD
Here’s an easy Lead Poisoning Home Checklist to help you check your home.
You can also use lead swabs such as these to test doors and windowsills for lead dust.
MINIMIZING LEAD EXPOSURE
- Take off your shoes before going into the house.
- Wet-mop all your non-carpet floors regularly.
- If you use tap water for drinking and food preparation, use cold instead of hot. Hot water will likely contain lead from your plumbing.
- Once Baby’s old enough to play outside, make sure to wash their hands regularly.
PROTECTION THROUGH NUTRITION
Your body already knows how to detoxify. Nutritious, organic foods, can help draw the lead out of Baby’s body. Eating these foods while breastfeeding may pass the detoxifying benefits on through your breast milk.
- Broccoli, cauliflower, kale (cruciferous veggies)
- Cilantro and parsley
- Fruits and veggies that contain pectin (apples, bananas, beets, carrots)
- Vegetables high in sulfer (onions and garlic)
- Foods high in iron (meat, lentils, beans)
These simple steps will help keep your whole family safe from lead exposure.
Stay safe, Momma!
Featured image source: www.pixabay.com
Latest posts by Reese (see all)
- Throwing the Perfect Valentine’s Day Baby Shower - January 10, 2019
- Can You Prevent Morning Sickness With Nutrition? - November 29, 2018
- The GroovyQueen Maternity Belt – A Real Mom Review - August 24, 2017